Sunday, April 11, 2010

More Ramblings.....

Well, we're down to less than 2 weeks until the "BIG DAY". In my world, this is equivalent to the wedding of Charles and Diana and I'm so excited!
"P", "B", Grace and I put together the floral part of the centerpieces this week - the colors are absolutely beautiful and I can't wait to put the entire tablescape together. Pam made a "test" cookies and creme cake; "J" did "E"'s hair for her bridal photos - everybody has been so very, very helpful and kind. We are blessed!
I have to admit that with spring break and being a little under the weather, I haven't tried a new recipe, so I decided to post one that we made this week that is definitely a family favorite: turkey burgers.
Okay, stop right there - before you say, "oh gross" and click out of my blog forever let me just tell you that there was a time when I had the exact same sentiments. I didn't even like the Costco prepackaged turkey burgers and to be honest, I'm a little surprised that I ever went out on a limb and made these. But I did and they are a definite family favorite. In fact, if you've got people in your family who are "turkey burger skeptics" I wouldn't even tell them this is turkey. Give it a try! I really don't think you'll be disappointed.

Spicy Grilled Turkey Burger with Coleslaw Recipe

Ingredients

Turkey burgers:

1 1/2 pounds ground turkey (white meat, dark meat, or a mixture)
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
3 Tbsp mayonnaise
2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 to 3 teaspoons of hot chile sauce such as Tabasco sauce (amount depends on how spicy you like your foods), or Tabasco Chipotle sauce
2 green onions, minced, white and green parts
4 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon sea salt, or more to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or more to taste
4 hamburger buns, lightly toasted
Sweet pickle slices
1 tomato, cored and sliced


Coleslaw
2 cups shredded cabbage
1 cup loosely packed arugula, watercress, or just another cup of shredded cabbage
10 basil leaves, thinly sliced
1/2 cup of mayonnaise
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Method
1 Prepare your grill (either charcoal or gas) for direct high heat. Or right before cooking, heat a griddle or large cast iron frying pan on the stovetop.

2 Combine the turkey, bread crumbs, mayonnaise, chives, green onions, Worcestershire sauce, chili sauce, basil, salt and pepper in a large bowl and work the mixture with your hands to just mix. Do not over mix or the burgers will be tough. Form the mixture into 4 1-inch thick patties.
3 Season both sides of the patties w
ith salt and pepper. Grill them for 5-7 minutes on each side, until the internal temperature of the patties reach 170°F on a meat thermometer. Turkey burgers should be cooked through, not rare. Toward the end of the cooking, put the buns on the grill to toast for about a minute. Remove the burgers from the grill to a platter, cover and let rest for 5 minutes.

4 Assemble the coleslaw. Whisk the mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, sugar, red pepper flakes together in a small bowl. Add to the cabbage, arugula, and basil in a larger bowl right before serving.

5 Assemble the burgers by placing each burger on a bottom bun, and stacking a tomato slice, some pickles, and a bit of coleslaw on top, and then topping with the top bun.

Makes 4 large burgers. Sometimes I make the coleslaw and sometimes I don't. They work with or without! Enjoy....

No comments:

Post a Comment